We are pleased to announce the introduction of Geotagging support within Phanfare so that you know where photos were taken.
Phanfare records the GPS coordinates of any photo with GPS information in the EXIF header. The process is fully automatic and compatible with cameras that support geotagging of images (such as the iPhone) and with the Eye-Fi Wi-fi enabled SD memory cards that geotag images automatically.
We automatically geotag any photos sent from the iPhone with the Phanfare iPhone app. On the web, you can click on “View Map” when viewing photos to see the location on a Google Map. On the iPhone within Safari click on the little globe in the upper right hand corner of the image.
We plan to do other things with the geodata over time. Here is the fine print on the new geotagging feature:
- Showing location is enabled for new albums but not existing albums. This is for privacy reasons. You can turn on geotagging support for older albums on an album by album basis.
- You can turn off showing map location on a per album basis. Click on album options within the web client.
- You can control whether new albums are created with geo tagging support enabled within settings
- We have been recording the GPS info from iPhoto images for at least a month so if you have older iPhone photos, they are geotagged. You just need to enable showing the info for the album.
- You can view the location of a photo on an iPhone as well.
- You can’t set the coordinates of a photo from within Phanfare. The photo has to have been tagged outside of Phanfare.
We released a few other features yesterday as well:
- A new table of contents design that handles large accounts much better and pages in albums. This design is turned off by default for existing users so you will need to enable it manually in settings
- You can now post a comment or send a message to the author when viewing photos and videos on your iPhone
- We fixed the Phanfare facebook app to work properly with the new facebook. You can even move the Phanfare widget from your Boxes page to your main profile page.
There are also numerous small bug fixes in this release. Let us know how you like it.