This morning (Thursday, June 25th, 5am Eastern Daylight Savings Time) we are upgrading the Phanfare system. The major changes that you will see when we come back up are:
- New corporate home page and marketing pages
- Free accounts no longer offered to new people. New prospective Phanfare customers enter a 14-day free trial with no restrictions. If you have an old space-restricted free account, it will continue to work.
- Site URLS at yourname.phanfare.com now available
- Optional site passwords
- New ‘Publish” button on web client, mac client, pc client that will publish any given album to your Phanfare site
- New versions of Aperture, Lightroom, Picasa, and iPhoto plugins that use the new site publishing metaphor, understand what a Phanfare site is.
- New versions of the Phanfare Mac and PC screensaver that take multiple Phanfare sites as inputs. (The old versions showed your content and friend/family content, optionally)
Be sure to upgrade your Phanfare tools. If you have setup someone with a Phanfare screensaver, you will want to download and install the new one for the person. If you don’t, they wont’ see new photos and videos unless you keep using our social networking tools.
My workflow, for example. I have about 40 some odd people who are connected to me within Phanfare. I have them broken into friends and family, but every single album I have ever created is available to both. I also have a few Phanfare groups, but only one has content that was published by others, the progress photos from a house renovation.
When Phanfare comes back up, I am going to login and go through our migration wizard. I am going to choose to publish every album that is published to my groups and to friends and family to my Phanfare site. Phanfare reserved my old “Phanfare 1.0″ username for me, so all my content will be at that URL.
Phanfare groups still works, but since I like the new Phanfare site stuff, I will likely download and re-upload the albums of our renovation progress that are in other people’s accounts. That will make my Phanfare site complete.
I will need to manually upgrade the screensavers on the home computers and my parents’ computers. I will manually configure them to show pictures from my Phanfare site, my brother and sister’s phanfare sites, and my co-founders Phanfare site.
I had gotten used to the automatic notifications that went out so I will need to now remember to notify people when I publish new albums. But I will probably go back to my old habit of only notifying close friends and family, except around major life events where I will notify a larger set of people.
I use facebook, although I have a bigger set of connections there, not all of whom are close friends. I will selectively publish albums to faceboook from time to time so my facebook friends know I am alive.
The biggest hassle for me will be dealing with Phanfare groups. Also, I used to maintain a Phanfare site for my old neighborhood (we moved to Princeton from Metuchen, NJ) and now that Phanfare sites are back, I will recreate that. In January 2008, I had made that neighrborhood site a Phanfare group in my account, but many of the neighbors never quite figured out how to signup to see the photos. Making it an independent Phanfare site will also allow me to hand off control to someone who still lives in the neighborhood to maintain it. Groups allowed that too, but it was a bit more cumbersome.
Let us know about your problems and bugs by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org when we come up. We know there will be some.